Monday, July 1, 2013

WORKAHOLIC PALAVA

There, I was rushing off to work....as usual a bit late. it was 7:35am on the 1st of July 2013 and my new month resolution was to always be on time. Applying lipstick as I looked through the rear view mirror, I knew it will be tough to beat the early morning traffic.

I woke up as usual at 6:30am, said my morning prayers and dozed for another 10 minutes before dragging myself off to the bathroom to perform my daily hygienic duties flipping on and off switches as I walked across the room. Thinking in my mind "God give me the luxury to one day be able to get out of bed at late afternoon on a working day" I rushed through my bath, clothing, hair and make up, grabbed a Muller corner yoghurt (my latest addiction) from the refrigerator, and my handbag on my way out the door. I looked back trying to remember if I left on any electric gadget.

Mondays are usually busy days and its best to start out early if I were to leave before 5:00pm.  I had three meetings lined up, and I was meeting some publishers at lunch time. Driving out, I decided to take a shortcut in order to avoid the traffic that I am sure must have built up. Taking a sharp turn into a dirt road that leads to a shortcut,  I nearly hit a stray dog."Gerraout of the way" I yelled, as if the dog could hear me though my wound up car windows. It merely took a step away from the looming car Tyre turn to look as me with big sad eyes as if accusingly, then limped away ever slowly, flies trailing in its wake, oblivious to my temperament.

I almost hit the car roof as the car dipped into a porthole. "Jesus take the wheel..." My muttering turned to surprise as I hit Teshie expressway and saw that there were no cars on the road save a few "tro-tro" (danfo/commercial buses).  The road was free! I realised it was the first time I had seen the road without a traffic jam since I relocated to East Legon in January. Singing along to Enya's "May it be" in my best imitation opera voice i felt like I had won the lottery. A trip that usually took anywhere between 30 minutes to one hour took a mere 12 minutes, and there I was at the office gate.

I realised something was amiss, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Driving down the road to my office the streets had seemed a bit deserted but I don't mind. That's how I like it, no crowds. I could hear the birds singing as usual, so it was not dead silent. I had made sure to wear my name tag before leaving home so that wasn't the problem. I looked at my feet to make sure I had not left the house in my bathroom slippers as I once did, I had on my favourite 'knock about pumps' so that wasn't the problem either. Unusually, there were no cars parked around the perimeters of the building. I looked at my watch it was almost a quarter to eight so I couldn't possibly be the first to arrive work. That will be the day! I looked up to see all three security guards looking at me strangely.

That's when I remembered that it was a public holiday.


9 comments:

  1. LWKM.....very nice...vivid imagery, I could actually see you in my "minds-eye" yelling at the poor stray dog and singing (tunelessly)at the top of your voice...keep it up sis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO.. YOU KNOW I HAVE THAT PAVORATTI VOICEYYYY...LOL

      Delete
  2. You're such a good writer and sometimes i wonder why you don't write often. I don't know if you've come across this song "Mase ri talent e mole arabinrin, Oluwa yio bere oun ti o fise"- Ebenezer Obey. I have read it trice and still can't stop laughing. Good one dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you don reach here again... thanks i will try.

      Delete
  3. Lol!"employee of d month" award goes toooooooo...idowu ejere

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahahahaha! I was laughing so hard when I got to the end of the story that people around me were looking at me strangely. Wow! This is a really nice write up. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Other products may have some ingredients that can cause damage to the parts or accessories.

    casters & caster wheels

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice style...Lucid and engaging!

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment on this article