Sunday, January 27, 2013

CHAINSAW MASSACRE IN GENEVA

It was January 9 2009, we had just landed at Geneva International Airport where the weather was about two degrees. Bundled up in our thick jackets, gloves, mufflers and caps we must have looked like Eskimos but we couldn't care less. We were at last going to visit all the places we had only dreamed of and saw in pages of text books and magazines. Out first point of call would be the Patek Philippe Museum spanning 500 years of masterpiece creations from the best watch makers in the world. We were expecting to see an extraordinary display of watches, musical automata and portrait miniatures from the 16th to the 19th century, in addition to a library dedicated entirely to horology. It didn't matter that the chances of our buying anything was slimmer than a wand. We were going to shop till we dropped on the famous Rues Basses street, we were going to visit the UN, Redcross, Rousseau Island (a romantic Island named after one of my favourite philosophers, Jean Jacques-Rousseau), the Place Neuve, the Lake and perhaps go to the foot of Monte Blanc.

With Omon Imohi, Jan 2009, The Lake, Geneva, Switzerland
Presently, my travel companion and sister Omon was rummaging though her hand bag, looking for the information note we got from the bed and breakfast we had booked prior to embarking on the journey. She finally found it and we proceeded to ask for directions to the address from the Information Desk. The pleasant thing about Switzerland is that they have four official languages, French, English, Italian and German, and so far as you can speak one, you can't really be lost. The Information Officer told us that buses to our destination were free, showed us where the bus stand was and and gave us the bus number to enter. We easily found our bus and got seated, we were glad to finally be on our way. 

As the bus wove its way through the city, dropping-off and picking up passengers, we couldn't help noticing all the beautiful hotels such as the Intercontinental, Mandarin Oriental, Grand Hotel Kempinsky, to mention a few. It was Omon that made our hotel booking and at some point I heard her mutter "I hope our bed and breakfast is at least decent". Our bus was noisy and since it was raining outside, the combination made it difficult for us to hear the stop announcements not that we understood since it happened to be in French. For in our bus we had people of all colours and races, to a first-timer it confirms the notion that Switzerland is truly a cosmopolitan country. 

We watched as more and more people got off the bus, till eventually there was only a handful of us left. As the bus sped through the night, we noticed a road sign that read Goodbye from Geneva it was then translated in three other languages. At this time I said "Omon are you sure we are going to the right place, we've left Geneva." Omon spoke to a lady who was sitting behind us and showed her the address, the lady said not to worry that we were right on track, that she was going the same way. That allayed my worries, for the time being. Once again we settled in for the ride. After what seemed like a short while, we arrived a village, a real village. Everyone alighted from the bus and the driver told us this was the last stop so we got off the bus at loss as to what next to do so once again Omon asked the lady from the bus about the bed and breakfast and she pointed in the general direction of a tall, nice looking building that somewhat stood out from the smaller houses in the surrounding. We thanked her and dragged our luggage towards the big building. 

On getting to the entrance of the building we rang the bell and the door was answered by a pleasant looking young lady carrying a baby. Thinking she was the bed and breakfast owner we explained that we were the guests that booked a room from the the UK. She was surprised by our explanation and said that it was her personal house and that there is no hotel or bed and breakfast within the entire community. By now we were beginning to panic. Upon showing her the Information Note, she read the address and conceded that though she knows the address she is not aware of any bed and breakfast in that location. She graciously offered to help us call the place, since we had no phones, once she was through talking on the phone she tried to describe the way to the house in question, directing us back to the road and showing us a dirt road to follow. 

Photo credits: Omon Imohi, Jan 2009, Geneva, Switzerland 
I was scared and even Omon was getting worried. I said "Omon are you sure this is safe?" Her reply was "Its okay even if we decide not to stay there, lets get there first, spend the night and tomorrow we can look for another place, I have to collect my one hundred and eighty pounds deposit." So we thanked the lady who promptly went back into her house and started down the dirt road. The road was muddy due to the rain, there was a broken down tractor farther down, by the road side, we could see a weak light in a distance and the illusion of a house but the road was dark, smelly and slippery.

By now, even Omon, despite her initial bravado was getting scared. I didn't even try to conceal my fears, I said "Omon I don't like this, there is no one in sight and everything is too still." At that moment we heard footsteps and heavy breathing coming towards us. In a sharp voice Omon yelled "Who is that!" No one answered. The foot steps stopped. We continued walking, then we heard the footsteps again, this time it sounded nearer so we started walking faster but the footsteps became more hurried too. Omon suddenly stopped and looked sideways, I nearly bumped into her. She was so still, so I followed her gaze. In the weak light I couldn't really see his face except that he was wearing what seemed like a well worn hooded great coat, the over 6 feet man standing a few feet away seemed to have emerged from nowhere. What happened next is what horror movies are made of. One minute Omon was standing right there, the next thing I knew she had picked her bags and was running back the way we came at breakneck speed, all the while yelling "Chainsaw massacre! Its the man from the Texan Chain Saw Massacre." I exclaimed "Ehn?" It took me a split second to follow suit. 

Its amazing how one could run so fast without remembering if you put your right foot before or behind your left. For once being an athlete in high school paid off. Both Omon and I had been runners in secondary school. We ran for our dear lives, not stopping till we arrived at the bus stop. Needless to say. we wound up back at the airport where we used the airport tourist service to get a cheap hotel in the city. 

It was a night to remember and the beginning of a memorable holiday. 

19 comments:

  1. What a perfect way to start my Sunday..... What a Masterpiece! Oh wait, did I just say MASTERPIECE? Whatever. Just keep writing...... and I will keep coming back. #Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks brov.. watch out for Hotel Suzy Part II tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. .... I can't stop laughing, Omon should stay away frm TV.. Ordinarily shouldn't she have yelled in ur native tongue to warn u before setting off for her dear life but instead she shouted 'chain saw massacre' were eva dat came from..lol.
    ID, seriously its been amazing to come back to this site and each time having the same thrill.. I pray that u will keep it coming.. Nice one, again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks I'm humbled.. Lol the guy may have been some hamless, homeless yob but in that moment he lookes so scary Omon stopped thinking of her money and she even almost forgot her younger sister...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahahahahahahahha....I'v got tears running down my cheeks ryt now! Way to go! Thumbs up! I think writing the story is more intersting than the way you 2 told it! Omon, too much TV! I can just imagine the innocent guy running after you 2, thinking the chainsaw dude was behind him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO.. I'm actually laughing too. You're right maybe he was running too.

      Delete
  5. lol .. don't blame me oh! it real felt like all those horror movies where people go on holiday and are never found! it was truly scary. I wasn't even upset I lost my deposit, but the rest of the holiday was fun .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol.. It was an unforgettable experience and I am glad we still enjoyed the holiday despite the issues at phoenix hotel..but that's another story. wink..wink..

      Delete
  6. Oh my days! U should see me now! I'm in a true LWKMD moment! This is hilarious! Omon has finished me*wiping tears frm my cheeks*

    ReplyDelete
  7. BEE, you should have been there.. Omon, I'll not trade that holiday for anything. Can u remember when we finally settled into Phoenix hotel and called our respective BFs we had a good laugh..

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just couldnt help the lafter in my office, oh dear...... goodness, gracious.."chainsaw massacre?" aw possible is that?. Omon had definitely seen too much movies. I was laughing so much that i wrote 'lwkmd' in my magazine column that i was working on..... oh dear. Glad it was a fun holiday, always good to have fun people with one on a vacation trip. Am so sure if i was there i would have started crying while running without my luggage..... no brave one here pls...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol.. you're right Omon is always fun company.. but what I failed to write is that I was already weeping as I ran after her.

      Delete
    2. lol.. you're right Omon is always fun company.. but what I failed to write is that I was already weeping as I ran after her.

      Delete
  9. Hope u guys remembered to drag ur luggage along though?*lol*

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol we did! else it would have made another story all together...

    ReplyDelete
  11. At my work, we have been using a GPS Vehicle Tracking system to monitor all of the trucks that we send out on a daily basis. It has been great in keeping up with all of our vehicles and making sure they are going to the right destinations.gps tracking saudi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep it up dear. Will get addicted to your blog soon

    ReplyDelete

  13. Hi we are from Suraj Informatics our company is the Best Location Software And Solution Provider in India. Click here to know more
    Location software

    location based services

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi we are from Suraj Informatics. Our company provides best Track and trace solutions.Click here to know more about Track and Trace System Provider in India

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment on this article